Ama repair job

A month ago my port ama suffered some cracks while on a practice sail for the NCC. I was able to do a temporary jury rig to finish the trip but needed a permanent repair before the ama could be used again.

To repair, I first ground out the cracks and filled with an epoxy colloidal silica mixture to provide a smooth surface for the subsequent steps. I then sanded off a large area of the gel-coat in preparation to lay down some extra fiberglass layers. I did this to both amas since whatever I did to the broken ama, I also did to the other one as well. I didn’t quite sand all the way down the fiberglass, but I did remove the shiny outer layer of the gel coat.

I next added and wetted down a small piece of fiberglass with an opening cut out for the wing connection to each ama. The line around the piece is from the felt-tip marker used to indicate where to cut the fiberglass. Hopefully a later painting step will cover this up.

Then I added a large piece of fiberglass over the entire area.

And proceeded to start to wet it out. I made some cuts at the center of the wing connection so it wraps down inside the connection.

After finishing wetting out, I added a piece of pealPly over the entire area. Using PealPly gives a better finish without using as much total epoxy.

Since pealPly won’t conform to strange curves, I had to make a number of slits up around the wing connection area.

After the epoxy started to gel-up, I cut off some of the excess and then temporarily made the connection with the wing to ensure that there was a good fit. I had pre-treated the wing with mold-release. I just kept the connection in place for a couple of minutes.

Then I finished removing the excess material and after it firmed up a bit more, the pealPly.

The last step after the epoxy cures will be to sand out any imperfections and coat with yellow-tinted gel-coat. I’ll post an edit to this post after I paint it.

Rudder bracket repair

The following shows the piece that broke and the piece of aluminum that will be used to make a new bracket.  The new piece was bent in a vice with a hammer.  The new piece is a tad bit thicker and a bit wider than the old piece so it should be stronger.

We cut it after the holes were drilled.  The bolt was used to hold it more ridged while it was being cut.

Here is the bracket screwed into the rear of the kayak.  The hole spacing and bevels were just right.

Here is a view with the rest of the rudder bracket assembled.  It was a snug fit but snug is probably good.  Even a little bit of play and wobble will cause stress on the metal.

And another view of the rudder bracket assembly.

I’m calling it good.  I will want to make one more just like this for an on-boat spare.

Special thanks to my brother, Paul, for helping me make this (actually he did all the work).