Days away

Today I can finally say I’m excited to compete in the event! So many days working on the boat and getting it ready. Today I just need to reseal the mast, add new spinnaker block and cleats and pick up the mainsail w/ a new higher reef point.

The weather forecast is looking very predicable w/ SSW winds on Saturday at 15-17 kts, swinging to N on Sunday at 16 kts. If it is steady and consistent we should be looking to finish in under 48 hours with the early part of the race the big question on time. If it would move to the SW and even WSW then we could scream and finish in under 40 hours.

In our class the question mark is Randy Smyth in Sissor and the A Class Cat. Birch & I are two heavy boys so we really need stronger winds to excel. Not wanting to give anything away they just might be too fast but the Tornado & Prindle 19 & of course the other Hobie makes for a very exciting race.


So we shall see and see very soon.

A first!

We sailed this Sunday & Monday and for the first time did not break anything! The boat and team is finally coming together. Birch and I really finally getting time to think about the race and sailing instead of the boat. As for the race, the friendships and competition is what we’re looking forward to the most. What will our class be like? Randy w/ Sizzor and Lumpy with the Tornado have sailed well in the past and can be expected to be great again. What about the A Class Cat and the other Hobie 18 and 16ing and Sir Tack Alot w/ the newly painted tri? What fun this will be!


The new rudders worked perfectly… balanced right out of the box. Nhe new spinnaker also was perfect. We still need to make adjustments to the pole bridle but feel it is solid and sound. Performance went thru the roof.


This team is getting closer to being prepared and ready to compete for first to finish. I wish I knew more about our competition and their programs. Randy Smyth w/ his Sizzor design by far the more experienced sailor and optimal design… but as a single handed entry, we’re hoping me may have advantages in certain conditions. Which conditions is still unknown.

Today we’ll go out and try to break something again. Funny that is how we eliminate the weak spots. Hopefully by race time we will have a dependable, reliable and winning boat and team…. all because of this philosophy.

Just got lucky

Yesterday received word that a friend from Annapolis was driving down I95 at Palm Beach. Got word to him just in the nick of time to stop and pick up our spinnaker and 12′ pole… everything is arriving this afternoon! We’ll get it rigged and sailing this weekend. Wuppie!

The upgrades continue

The new rudder heads arrived and now installed, the complete rebuild of the mast and reattachment of all mast fittings with new S.S. rivets and rebuild of the traveler car. Still on the list looking for a suitable used Asy spinnaker to rig,

Today we comfortable with our sailing of the Hobie Magnum and now just concentrate on getting the boat and equipment ready for the long hard slog to the finish.

With luckĀ  we will find a used spinnaker or someone to loan us one for the race.